Friday, May 23, 2008

The Two Paper Clips

I just re-affirmed one thing about myself today.

I am either:

a) A very gullible idiot.

or

b) An exceedingly kindhearted person.

As this is MY blog and I do have an obligation to put myself in the best possible light, I have to say option b.

I was on my way home from a long hot sticky and damn tiring day of work when I was approached by this teenager who was holding a cardboard clipped full of paper clips.

As this teenager is a guy and not some cute looking girl, I put on my most 'dao' expression and decided to act like I was in a hurry and just walk away.

However, before I could walk away, the teenager had began his sales pitch.

Teenager : "Hi there, I was wondering whether I could take up a moment of your time?"

Being a very nice and well mannered guy, I found myself replying against my own accord.

Me: "Ok sure... So what is this about?"

Teenager: "Would you be more comfortable speaking in english or mandarin?"

Me: "Either would be fine...?"

Teenager: "So are you local?"

Me: "Yah...?"

Teenager: "Oh ok, its just that you have this American accent when you talk..."

Wow, my English pronunciation has always been bad and this is the first time that someone mistook my bad English for an American accent. Either that or this teenager is using a standard compliment for every potential customer he meets...

Teenager: "So where are you studying right now?"

Me: "I am actually working right now..."

Teenager: "Oh... its just that you look very young..."

Hm... that would be two compliments in a span of maybe four sentences. I am flattered despite knowing that it is a standard sales pitch and felt obliged to continue listening to what he has to say.

Teenager: "Well, actually I am from this entrepreneur school and me and my classmates have to pass this graduation project which is to grow our $1 capital into $100 in 3 hours time..."

The teenager then points to a couple of his classmates who are in the area, one of them whom was accosting a rather pretty office lady.

My attention was immediately diverted by the pretty office lady as the teenager continues yada-ing.

Teenager pointing to his cardboard full of paper clips: "So if possible, can you help us buy some paper clips for whatever amount you are willing to pay? Our deadline to get the $100 is at 9pm..."

The mention of his project deadline brought my memories back to my polytechnic days when I was desperately trying to meet the deadline for my final year project. We had been given a total of 6 months for our project. I had procrastinated until the last week to do it and the days of sleepless nights trying (albeit futilely) to complete the project had seemed like hell to me...

I could totally emphasize with anyone who is trying his best to meet a deadline. Thus, I generously pulled out a ten dollars note.

Me: "So how many paper clips would $10 get me?"

Teenager holding out the cardboard to let me choose the paper clips : "As many as you like... but please don't take all of them."

After applying my astounding mathematical skills to calculate the worth of those paper clips (factoring in the cost price, inflation, effort, etc....) I happily took these 2 paper clips.


(Due to the misplacement of my phone's cable, the pictures of the paper clips cannot be shown)


Teenager: " Wow! Thanks!"

Me, before walking off: "Naw... Good luck in your graduation project!"

For some reason, this reminded me of an incident a few years back where I had just drawn $20 from the ATM and this old lady approached me asking for some money while stating that she had no money to go home. As she looked really old and pitiful, I gave her all the money I had drawn and watched her walked off happily...

No comments: